Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Blackheart Beauty Nail Polish Swatches and Comparison Part 1

~ Purchased By Me ~

Hello!
I have six blackheart beauty nail polishes to swatch and compare for you but I'm going to break it up into two posts. So the first three are Golden, Pastel Green and Glow Away.

Blackheart Beauty Nail Polish Golden, Pastel Green and Glow Away
From left to right, Golden, Pastel Green and Glow Away
I love the skull bottles that these polishes come in but some of them do seem to have a problem with keeping the polishes from evaporating. Even worse, the polish that suffered from this the most is Glow Away, one of those layered polishes that say "DO NOT SHAKE" on it. I added a few drops of thinner and gently rolled it to keep the layers from mixing and to restore it to its proper consistency.
Anyway. So first up is Golden. The formula was nice and smooth. The below swatch is two easy coats.

Blackheart Golden Nail Polish Swatch
Blackheart Golden, two coats with topcoat
I thought this polish looked very similar to Revlon's Gold Coin. I swatched Gold Coin on my index and middle finger and Golden is on my ring and pinky.

Revlon Gold Coin and Blackheart Golden Comparison
Revlon Gold Coin (I+M) and Blackheart Golden (R+P)
As you can see, while the color is the same, the difference is in the finish. Golden has a much smoother finish and Gold Coin is a bit more grainy. Gold Coin can be opaque in one coat but I used two here. You have to use two coats for Golden because the brush is a little rough and you need to "float" the second layer on so that you have a smooth finish. They look really similar in the bottle.

Revlon Gold Coin and Blackheart Golden Comparison
Blackheart Golden and Revlon Gold Coin
Next up is Pastel Green. This is 4(!) coats. The issue isn't in it's opacity, but in the formula. The rough brush doesn't really help. It goes on streaky and runny but the color is awesome, a sort of neon pastel. I got ton of compliments wearing this one. You may be able to get away with 3 careful coats.
Blackheart Pastel Green swatch
Blackheart Pastel Green, 4 coats with topcoat
I thought this looked similar to Color Club's Twiggie. I have Twiggie on my index and middle finger and Pastel Green on my ring and pinky.

Color Club Twiggie and Blackheart Pastel Green Comparison swatch
Color Club Twiggie and Blackheart Pastel Green
Twiggie has a far superior fomula, this is two easy coats. It is a shade darker (I had to color correct it in photoshop so sorry if if looks strange). But the colors are pretty close. Kissing cousins you could say. In the bottle they look really similar as well.

Color Club Twiggie and Blackheart Pastel Green Bottle Comparison
Color Club Twiggie and Blackheart Pastel Green
Last up is Glow Away, obviously the most creative name in this group lol. This is three coats. Because it's a glow-in-the-dark polish, it's grainy from the glow particles. Once again, the brush isn't very helpful. The color is a sweet pinky coral and it dries matte. I've swatched it with top coat.

Blackheart Glow Away Swatch
Blackheat Glow Away, three coats with topcoat
I thought it looked smiliar to China Glaze's Flirty Tankini. Flirty Tankini, two coats, is on my index and middle while Glow Away, three coats, is on my ring and pinky. Both are topcoated.

China Glaze Flirty Tankini and Blackheart Glow Away comparison swatch
China Glaze Flirty Tankini (I+M) and Blackheart Glow Away (R+P)
Flirt Tankini has a better formula and it also has some fine pearl like shimmer running through it which mirrors the glow particles in Glow Away. While very close, Flirty Tankini is a little darker and more of a true coral while Glow Away is more of a pink coral. Bottle shots are pretty close as well (the pink dominates the layers).

China Glaze Flirty Tankini and Blackheart Glow Away bottle comparison
China Glaze Flirty Tankini and Blackheart Glow Away

Also, Glow Away glows in the dark. I couldn't quite capture Glow Away glowing because my camera couldn't seem to take a picture in the dark. So what I did here was focus my camera in a lighted room then quickly into the dark room before it could refocus. Sorry, this was the best I could do!

Blackheart Glow Away swatch in the dark
Blackheart Glow Away in the dark

You can purchase Blackheart Beauty nail polishes at Blackheart Beauty or Hot Topic, in store or online. These retail at Hot Topic for $5 but they regularly have them on sale for BOGO free or BOGO half off.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Because of the oddly shaped bottles, I had a hard time learning how to position my fingers. I think I got it in the end but I apologize for the multiple finger positions. I'm still learning what I like and I promise I'll get better!

No comments:

Post a Comment